Saturday, June 11, 2011

T minus 8

The countdown is proceeding apace. Today, after a lot of investigation using the Internet to its fullest advantage, I discovered how involved it is going to be to get from Honolulu to Hilo and back. I figured it would be a simple inter-island commuter flight, but it is not simple at all. Were we to have US-based credit cards we could book the tickets on-line with Hawaiian Airlines and have tickets that can be altered if need be without extra cost. In our case, however, only non-refundable tickets can be booked, with an extra charge for doing so over the phone. Should our incoming flight from Fiji be delayed, the inter-island tickets would be lost (I imagine). We could book the tickets right there in the airport when we arrive in Honolulu, but I was told by a Hawaiian Airlines representative over the phone that in July, especially, same day seat availability is rare. I'll solve this, one way or another, as I have solved everything else, but it will involve extra costs I hadn't anticipated, and extra steps.

To fill in a few issues left hanging from previous posts, I can now say that the last of the meds has been obtained. And as for traveler's checks we won't have any trouble getting all we need at the post office. In fact, both the main post office and our local neighborhood branch can sell them to us. How convenient is that?

This coming week will be a full one. I've got to use my time constructively and stay focused on the tasks at hand and address them in the most efficient sequence possible. Lots of pressure. (Boy, do I need a vacation.)

And I must continue to pack intelligently. Once we take off I won't be able to go back and retrieve something that escaped my mind while packing. Razelle, naturally, has been packed for quite a while now. I've been distracted by other details. But, I'm an old hand at packing; I'll be OK (famous last words?).

No comments: