Friday, May 4, 2012

Maryland day 3


October 5

Razelle spent the morning reading Anita's copy of Jean Auel's "The Land of the Painted Caves" the final novel of the "Clan of the Cave Bear" series (as we call it), recently published and only available in hardcover so far. Razelle has to get through this book and leave it behind when we leave Baltimore so she was intensely involved in that silent endeavor.

While Razelle was at this, I took time to explore the neighborhood on foot this crisp sunny autumn morning and go buy a charge card to top up my laptop, this being the last day my $50-unlimited-use-for-a-month Virgin Mobile card had left on it. Since we have only 10 days left in the US before we move on to the next country, I thought it would be a good idea to only buy a $10 card (or at least worth trying), which should be good for 10 days (if I don't overuse it). I walked down to the corner traffic light at Reisterstown Rd and Northern Parkway to the Walgreens store. They didn't have the right mobile card denomination so I continued down Reisterstown Rd another block and found what I needed at a Dollar Discount store.

All the people I passed along Reisterstown Rd were black. I was the only white person I saw walking along this thoroughfare (alone). I tried to be nonchalant about that, but not having lived in the US for so many decades I had no idea whether or not I was being naïve about my safety. The most disconcerting thing was listening to conversations I overheard as I passed small groups of males, talking among themselves and letting the "N-word" pepper their speech liberally. I also heard music someone passing me on the sidewalk was playing loud enough to be heard; he chanted along with its rap lyrics, which also had the "N-word" come up every so often. I just glided through this scene as unobtrusively as I could to return to the supposed safely of Ralph's street. Once there, I took time to notice the shade trees that lined the pavement. My footsteps lightly crunched the leaves that were beginning to fall onto the sidewalk this time of year. These trees also dropped acorn/chestnut-type fruit (beechnuts?) onto the sidewalks and tree-lawns and into the gutters. I may learn their identity eventually, but for the time being they are not familiar to me.

When I returned Razelle asked to go out too. She was interested in eating out somewhere. We got into the van and drove up Reisterstown Rd in the opposite direction from the one I'd walked. Last night, we drove a long stretch of Reisterstown Rd from that direction when we'd returned from Washington and I had seen a lot of commercial centers, closed at that late hour. I thought Razelle would like to see what kind of choices this area had to offer (she was asleep as we passed last night so she missed seeing it). One shopping plaza after another came into view. We found an old familiar eatery that has never disappointed: IHOP, and we alighted there for a meal. For a change, instead of ordering my usual bowl of grits, I ordered a bowl of oatmeal. Our waiter was a tall thin and cheerfully talkative and attentive black man. He seemed to have had a good education and I thought he might in fact be a manager instead of a waiter, because he was older than the usual age of the waiters we've encountered on our journey across America. He talked economics with Razelle and remarked about the competitor across the street adding solar panels on the roof of their business, so he revealed an awareness of structural engineering too. Then a superior of his handed him a broom and dustpan and I realized he wasn't a manager. I hope this man can find a job some day, when the economy turns around, that can utilize his talents better. At least he is working and there is dignity in that.

We returned to Ralph and Anita's. At the top of the stairs in their house I entered our bedroom and violently ran my right knee into the bedpost. I collapsed onto the bed and waited for the agonizing pain to subside from my aching patella and feared that this might be the "end of the road" for this road trip. If my right knee were now damaged I wouldn't be able to drive anymore. I willed the pain away and after a while I dared to try standing. My knee was tender, but otherwise undamaged. Whew, that was a close call.

I worked on my blog and will soon be posting some new entries, finally. These will bring my blog up to our arrival in Detroit, a full month after the fact. I have fallen so far behind and our last several days ahead are so packed with visits to people and religious holidays that I don't see how I'll be able to catch up completely with where we are currently located as we travel. I will finish this blog, I promise, no matter what, even if it is written in retrospect from notes. I also used my new Virgin Mobile card to do a lot of route planning on the web on Google maps. It is getting to be critical now just how much distance we have left to drive. An obligatory oil change will be due by the time we complete the projected distance I estimate we still have left to finish our trip south to Virginia, then north to Massachusetts then south again to leave the van in New Jersey. I wanted to determine whether our route might go beyond the mileage still left before the oil change ends up being my responsibility instead of theirs. It will be close. Doing this research, however, I used enough megabytes that my 10-day card won't last past tomorrow – an experiment in thrift that didn't have the outcome I was hoping for.

Anita spent the afternoon cooking a special meal for us. She is a holistic nurse and prepares macrobiotic dishes that one doesn't encounter every day. This is what makes them special. There are roots and grains and vegetables in her dishes you can't readily identify from common experience because they are special too. When she tells you what they are you can't help but smile. Of course you've heard of them, many times in fact, but rarely (if ever) tasted them. These dishes take longer to prepare, so Razelle and Anita had lots of time together in the kitchen to talk about subjects that interested them and to bond as sisters-in-law. This is the longest time Razelle has spent alone with Anita since she married Ralph. By the time Ralph came home from work, all was ready. We all gathered around the table: Ralph, Razelle, Anita, Yehudah, Yair and I, to eat as one large family.

That's what this part of the trip is for: to reconnect with family and strengthen the bonds that hold families together.

No comments: