Friday, May 27, 2011

Trip Inception

The whole idea of traveling around the world began with a simple plan to be north of the Arctic Circle this summer in Norway to experience the Midnight Sun. That lost its appeal when Norway censured Israel for something political and Razelle didn't feel comfortable going there. She said, "Aaron, you've always wanted to visit Hawai'i so you can finally claim to have visited all 50 States. How about we travel to Hawai'i instead?" I mentioned this to my friend David. The question arose, "Which is the best way to get to Hawai'i? It's half way around the world from here. Whether we go east or west, it's pretty much the same distance." David said, "In that case, why go half way around the world and come back the same way when you can go ALL the way around the world and fulfill another one of your "bucket list" fantasies?" Thus was planted the seed that has become this trip-in-the-making.

We got home last night after spending time babysitting Noga our granddaughter. When I opened my email I found a confirmation letter for our room in Hilo, Hawai'i. This location will be the "gemstone" in our ring around the world. It is somewhere near the trip's midpoint; it is the kernel from which the whole idea of setting forth sprouted. Apropos to the whole trip, it is called (I kid you not) "Aaron's Cottage."

2 comments:

MadScientist said...

There's a good place to get fresh mochi in Hilo. I definitely advise getting some. I forget the address, but it opens up around 10-11 AM and is near the center of town.

Sara Neitzert said...

WOW! Good Luck with your travels. I hope you still plan to make it to Missouri. We would love to see you and Lilly would love to meet you. I also hope to visit all 50 states. I have about 13 more to go. I am trying to do at least one a year. This year is Arkansas... Can't wait to read more about your travels and see photos!